The Commission for Educational Exchange between the U.S., Belgium and Luxembourg is a Fulbright Commission and EducationUSA center that advises international students about higher education in the U.S. and administers merit-based grants for graduate study (Master’s or Ph.D.), post-doctoral research or university lecturing in the U.S. for citizens of Belgium (www.fulbright.be) and the EU (www.fulbrightschuman.eu).
The Commission works with Belgian secondary schools and universities to provide information about high school and gap year exchange programs, intensive English courses, community colleges, Bachelor’s, Master’s, Doctoral, and Post-Doctoral programs, as well as special advising sessions for student athletes or international medical graduates. The scholarships we offer range from $2,000 to $30,000 and are for candidates in a variety of academic fields.
The advertised position is expected to begin in July 2016 and allots half of its time to the Fulbright role and the other half to the EducationUSA role. As Fulbright Program Manager, you will be responsible for:
- Award development and promotion – The majority of Fulbright awards come from funds allotted by the U.S. Department of State, Belgian & Luxembourgian governments, and European Commission; however, the Commission also administers awards created by external donations. You will assist the Executive Director in identifying suitable fundraising partners (universities, companies, etc) and developing award descriptions, requirements, and benefits for all newly-funded awards. You will promote all Fulbright awards for Belgian and EU citizens through online and in-person events coordinated with the help of the U.S. Embassy, Belgian university officials, and other Fulbright offices in the EU.
- Candidate recruitment and advising – You will perform outreach to suitable candidates and review all preliminary applications for eligibility from candidates seeking access to the final online application.
- Competition management – All Fulbright applications are now received and reviewed electronically. You will track, organize, and administer these applications to the selection committees digitally and help them rank candidates electronically during the review and interview processes.
- Program administration – You will communicate with all unsuccessful and selected grantees about their application status and communicate with all selected grantees to inform them of their grant benefits and responsibilities. You will then work with program officers at other European Fulbright offices, the Institute for International Education (IIE), and the Council of International Exchange Scholars (CIES) to make sure that these responsibilities are fulfilled and the grantees receive the appropriate support they need during their grant period.
- Alumni relations – The Belgian Fulbright Commission boasts approximately 3,000 Belgian and EU program alumni. The Fulbright Program Manager contributes to maintaining the Commission’s alumni database up-to-date, involves alumni in current outreach and selected activities, and works with the Fulbright Alumni Association of Belgium to organize events, send newsletters, and develop new alumni initiatives.
You will also work with IIE and CIES to promote awards and advise U.S. applicants, when necessary, and administer the grants of U.S. citizens coming to Belgium or the European Union on a Fulbright Schuman grant. Each spring, you will plan a seminar on transatlantic relations for approximately 40 American Fulbright grantees who break from their projects in various EU countries to come to Belgium and Luxembourg to learn about the European Union and NATO.
As an EducationUSA Advisor, your responsibilities will include:
- Advising students and scholars at the graduate-level and above about the U.S. higher education admissions process
- Coordinating outreach events with visiting U.S. graduate admissions officials in Belgium, including Brussels College Night in the fall, which provides an opportunity for nearly 100 U.S. college and university representatives to meet with prospective students in Brussels
- Organizing training events for Belgian international mobility officers on topics such as alumni affairs, U.S. graduate schools, etc.
- Overseeing the Advising Center’s internship program and supervising all interns
In both of the aforementioned roles, you will be expected to contribute in keeping the Commission’s website and social media channels up-to-date with relevant content and develop communications and marketing materials. This position maintains a constant outer-facing role that demands strong public speaking skills, relationship development, multi-tasking, and an ability to succeed in a fast-paced environment.
Accordingly, the successful candidate will have the following qualifications and skills:
- Minimum of a Bachelor’s degree in political science, international affairs, intercultural studies, education, communications, or other relevant area of study
- Preference to a candidate with working proficiency in French and/or Dutch
- Familiarity with Google Drive and Microsoft Office (including Access)
- Demonstrated ability to work in a fast-paced, multitasking environment
- A moderately long-term commitment to the position
- Experience in educational or cultural exchange
- Extensive knowledge of U.S. higher education
In addition to an annual salary to be discussed based on the candidate’s qualifications, this position offers
- Flexible hours
- Extensive vacation time
- Monthly cell phone plan
- Travel throughout Belgium
- Educational/governmental networking opportunities
- Dedicated funds for professional development opportunities like conferences in the USA, travel to other EU Fulbright offices, etc.
To apply, please send a resume and cover letter to Erica Lutes at firstname.lastname@example.org by May 31, 2016. Candidates selected to move to the next round will be notified of their success within two weeks and interviewed by June 15. Skype interviews will be permitted for candidates applying from outside of Belgium.
The successful candidate will begin working July 2016.