The Fulbright Commission in Brussels is excited to announce a one-day professional development program designed to help English-language teachers meet the challenges of teaching English to students to better prepare them for the TOEFL iBT Test. The Propell Workshop for the TOEFL iBT Test will take place from 9:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m on Monday 3 July 2017 in the Center for American Studies on the third floor of the Royal Library of Belgium (Boulevard de l’Empereur 4 Keizerslaan, B-1000 Brussels). This event is free of charge, but participants are asked to register in advance via this form. The Propell workshop is a one-day professional development program designed to help English-language teachers successfully teach students English as a second language and is led by a local ETS-approved trainer in an interactive, hands-on classroom setting. The training is intended for English language professionals working in higher education establishments or in language centers who already prepare students to take the TOEFL iBT test or would like to feel prepared to do so. This standardized test measures a non-native speaker’s level of English and is necessary for any non-native English speaker who intends to study in English at the university level, whether attending university or participating in another advanced academic program. Teachers will receive a Propell workshop kit that will guide them through stimulating sessions on teaching techniques and activities and help them learn more about the benefits of the TOEFL iBT test. The workshop is also an opportunity to interact with peers and provide feedback to help us improve and develop assessments that meet their needs. The workshop uses examples from all four sections of the TOEFL iBT® test: Listening, Reading, Speaking and Writing. It provides instructional techniques and strategies for using the integrated-skills approach to teaching language and for preparing students for success. What can you expect from this Propell Workshop?
- Teaching and learning strategies to help promote your students’ success
- Flexible classroom activities to motivate your students Learning objectives for lesson plans and class activities -Access to practice test resources -Speaking and Writing rubrics describing the criteria for student scores -Networking with other instructors to share ideas -A certificate upon completion of the workshop
- a comprehensive overview of the TOEFL iBT test
- a detailed review of the scoring guidelines for the Writing and Speaking sections of the -TOEFL iBT test
- practice in scoring sample test-taker responses
- an engaging discussion on practical applications to guide classroom instruction