The Commission for Educational Exchange between the U.S., Belgium and Luxembourg is looking to hire a Program Officer, to begin at our offices in Brussels in mid- to late September 2018.
The primary responsibilities of the Program Officer include:
- Promoting Fulbright Foreign Student and Scholar Program by attending online and in-person outreach events coordinated with the help of the U.S. Embassy, Belgian university officials, and other Fulbright offices in the EU;
- Managing competition and selections process for Fulbright Foreign Student and Scholar Programs, including tracking and processing of applications, organization of review panels and selections committees, notification to (un)successful applicants, submission for approval by FFSB, collection of pre-departure materials, etc.;
- Managing database of Belgian and Luxembourgish Fulbright alumni;
- Supporting the development of programming for grantees and alumni in Belgium and Luxembourg throughout the grant period, including U.S. Grantee Orientation, ETA Training, and U.S. Grantee Mid-Year Meeting, and some FAAB events;
- Supporting the organization of program related events, such as Brussels College Night, Fulbright IEA Seminar, LL.M. Fair, Fulbright Seminar on European Union and NATO, and EU- US Young Leaders Seminar.
The successful candidate will have the following qualifications and skills:
- Minimum of a Bachelor’s degree in political science, international affairs, intercultural studies, education, communications, management, or other relevant area of study;
- Demonstrated ability to succeed in a fast-paced, multitasking environment with ability, to make decisions in a changing environment, and to anticipate future needs;
- Demonstrated ability to work independently and take initiative;
- Strong written, oral, interpersonal, and presentation skills;
- Practical experience in field of educational or cultural exchange.
Candidates with the following qualifications and skills will be preferred:
- Master’s degree in political science, international affairs, intercultural studies, education, communications, or other relevant area of study or two years of experience in related field
- Prior professional/academic experience in both the United States and Europe
- Working proficiency in French and/or Dutch
In addition to an annual salary to be discussed based on the candidate’s qualifications, this position offers flexible hours, extensive vacation time, monthly cell phone plan, educational/governmental networking opportunities, and dedicated funds for professional development opportunities.
The Commission for Educational Exchange between the U.S., Belgium and Luxembourg is a Fulbright Commission and EducationUSA Advising Center that advises international students about higher education in the U.S. and administers merit-based grants for graduate study, post-doctoral research or university lecturing in the U.S. for citizens of Belgium and Luxembourg as well as research grants for EU citizens through the Fulbright-Schuman Program. For more information about the Fulbright Commission, please visit www.fulbright.be.
To apply, please send a resume and cover letter to Executive Director Erica Lutes at email@example.com by 15 August 2018. The successful candidate will begin working in mid- to late September 2018.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
Given the level of interest in this position, the Fulbright Commission will be sharing answers to frequently asked questions below:
- I don’t speak French and/or Dutch. Should I apply? Working proficiency in French and/or Dutch — the working languages of Belgian institutions of higher education and of the region of Brussels — is strongly preferred for this position. Given the large volume of applicants, applicants who do not have a professional working proficiency in either language may not be considered.
- I submitted an application. When should I expect to hear back? Applicants will be contacted by Ms. Lutes no later than 20 August 2018.
- I was not selected for the position. Can I receive additional feedback on my application? Given the large volume of applicants, individual feedback on your application may not be immediately available. If we are not able to answer your questions at this time, please feel free to come back to us in September for additional feedback.