International Institutional Partnerships
WHAT is an IIP?
- “Bi-national (or multinational) communities of higher education in which there is a constant flow of people, ideas, and projects back and forth, as well as the development of new projects and common goals.”
- Examples include (but are certainly not limited to):
Joint/Double Degree Programs
WHY pursue an IIP?
- Send your students abroad at the cost of your home tuition
- Enhance global reputation, while pursuing diplomacy and other national priorities
- Advance research by connecting institutions and scholars
- Tackle global issues while building institutional capacity and diversifying course content
HOW do I start an IIP?
1. Develop a Strategy
- Identify your top goals and what YOU can offer – i.e. Do you have English courses in your Belgian institution? Will you assist American students with their search for housing?
- Determine what activities are feasible for your institution
2. Identify Potential Partners
- Identify complementary areas of strength
- Determine a feasible financial commitment
- Develop faculty ties
3. Meet Face to Face
- Discuss priorities/logistics
- Discuss challenges/opportunities
4. Create an Initial Memorandum Of Understanding (MOU)
5. Initiate Collaboration
- Develop a communication plan
- Determine who is responsible for what
- Determine how financials will work
6. Periodic Assessment
- Decide how you will measure performance
- Determine how to sustain funding
- Who else may become involved and what are the steps to make it happen?
WHO has this worked for?
- The Institut des Hautes Etudes des Communications Sociales (IHECS) recently developed English language courses specifically to establish their exchange agreement with the University of Springfield, Illinois. You can read more here : http://www.ihecs.be/news/index/index/id/234
- Listen to Xavier Arte from the Haute Ecole Province de Namur talk about what haute ecoles are and why these Belgian schools are looking to create exchanges: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JOI3Tdh-PT4
- Read about the Belgian students from HUBrussels who study at Dalton State College in Georgia. http://www.chattanoogan.com/2013/2/26/245301/Belgian-Business-Students-Arrive-At.aspx
- The University of Namur and Creighton University: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xGlzl7IpSGI
Resources For Success:
- IIE Center for International Partnerships in Higher Education: www.iie.org/cip
- Heiskell Awards: www.iie.org/heiskellawards
- List of universities and hogeschools in Flanders: http://www.studyinflanders.be/en/institutions/higher-education-institutions-all/
- List of universities and haute ecoles in Wallonia: http://www.studyinbelgium.be/en/institutions
The Commission for Educational Exchange between the United States and Belgium is happy to help your U.S. or Belgian university identify appropriate exchange partners and begin the process of creating an IIP.