Scholarships for US citizens studying or researching in Belgium

Americans living outside of Belgium may be eligible for Fulbright scholarships to come to Belgium for research or study. To find out more information see:

1. Benjamin A. Gilman International Scholarship Program

The Gilman Scholarship Program offers awards for undergraduate study abroad and was established by the International Academic Opportunity Act of 2000. This scholarship provides awards for U.S. undergraduate students who are receiving Federal Pell Grant funding at a two-year or four-year college or university to participate in study abroad programs worldwide. Find out more:

2. Boren Scholarships

Boren Scholarships provide up to $20,000 to U.S. undergraduate students to study abroad in areas of the world that are critical to U.S. interests and underrepresented in study abroad. Find out more:

If you are an American already in Belgium or seeking funding for research or study, kindly see these two awards:

1. The Belgian American Education Foundation

The Belgian American Educational Foundation (B.A.E.F.) encourages applications for fellowships for advanced study or research during one academic year, at a Belgian University or institution of higher learning. The B.A.E.F. will award up to eight fellowships each carrying a stipend of $25,000 for one year. If the fellow chooses to remain less than the full 12 months, the stipend will be prorated accordingly. The fellowship period must be at least 6 months. In addition to the stipend, the Foundation will provide health insurance. No other supplements can be expected.

2. Flanders House

Each year, the Education and Training Department of the Flemish Government offers five (5) fellowships of an academic year (10 months) to American students. These fellowships are granted for study or research at universities, conservatories of music, or art academies recognized by the Flemish Government, in the following fields: art, music, humanities, social and political sciendes, law, economics, sciences, and medicine.

3. WBI grants

Information on obtaining a grant for excellence to pursue high-level education in Wallonia or Brussels: