Fulbright awards fund Belgian and Luxembourgish citizens to study, research, or lecture at an accredited U.S. institution for a period between three months and one year. Grants are available for study and research in all fields of study, with additional Partner Awards available for study and research in specific fields (e.g., law, STEM). Please see below for a full list of available grants, or watch our introductory webinar above to learn more about grants and the application process.
Please note that applicants who will travel to the United States without a PhD are placed in the “Student” category and are required to remain in the U.S. for a minimum of 4 months. Applicants who have significant work experience or have a PhD (or will have a PhD by time of departure to the U.S.) are placed in the “Visiting Scholar Research” category and may remain for a minimum of 3 months. For the 2018-2019 academic year, all departures must take place between August 1, 2018 and March 31, 2019.
- Monthly stipend ($2,000 for students and $3,000 for scholars) to be used to cover tuition, living costs, etc.;
- One-time travel stipend of $1,000 intended to defray the costs associated with travel/relocation
- Sickness and accident insurance for grantees (not dependents);
- J-visa sponsorship for grantees and any accompanying dependents;
- Pre-departure orientation and reception at the U.S. Embassy to Belgium;
- In-country programming (e.g., Gateway Orientations, Fulbright Enrichment Seminars)
- Membership in active Fulbright alumni networks in both the United States and Belgium/Luxembourg
- Location-conditional discount on a Brussels Airlines ticket to/from United States
- Grants for Post-Doctoral Research
- Grants for Journalists
- Grants for Graduate Study and (Pre) Doctoral Research
- Partner Awards for Study/Research…
- Foreign Language Teaching Assistant (FLTA)
- Summer Institute for Secondary Educators (Teachers)
- Summer Institute for Students
The Fulbright Commission in Brussels also administers the Fulbright-Schuman Program. For more info about opportunities for European students and scholars, please visit www.fulbrightschuman.eu.